Monday, September 17, 2012

The long road back


8 August 2012 I woke up and felt like I had been hit by a mac truck.  I have been on the edge of a flare up for the better part of the year but finally it hit me full force.  I was hoping it would be over in less than a week but here we are more than a month later and I am still trying to recover.  I have improved, but I have a long way to go before I am anywhere near back to normal. 

On my race schedule I had a full iron distance triathlon (2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike ride and 26.2 mile run all in less than 17 hours) coming up in October 2012.  Having a flare up right in the middle of training crushes that plan.  I have not been able to step foot into the gym in over a month.  Today I finally made! Knowing my come back will take time and patients I came up with a plan, I would pool walk! I went in with one mile in my mind, but my body did not agree.  I was so excited to complete a whole half mile!  This is the first time in years I have not been training for a race, I am just training to get my mobility back.  In a way it kills me knowing that it took me almost 20 minutes to walk a half mile and I couldn’t go any further, but on the other hand I was so excited that I was able to do a half mile.

I realize I have a long road ahead of me and I will have speed bumps along the way.  My goal right now is to build up to being able to attend a water aerobics class, it might take me a month to get there, but I will get there.

Having physical issues makes staying in shape very difficult.  Water walking/running is a good low impact exercise. 
 
Kid

 

No comments:

Post a Comment