Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Questions


I have been seeing my current rheumatologist for over a year now.  At first I wasn’t sure about him, his bedside manner is a little… cold at first.  Within the first few visits he started warming up and I noticed he was very attentive, unlike the quack I saw before him.  His office staff is amazing!


I have a follow up appointment with him next week. I am excited to report that I am starting to feel a smidge more human, but I am still hurting something fierce and this damn insomnia is driving me nuts! When I got in next week I want to talk to him about hitting the hot tub and the sauna. I am not sure if it is ok to be in either because of the prednisone screwing with the immune system.  I want to talk to him about trying to get back into weight lifting, I mean I understand that I need to listen to my body and I can’t try to pick up where I left off.  But do I wait until I am completely out of this flare up or can I slowly start to add it back in?  What about travel? How do I travel safely (not getting sick) while in a flare up? 

I have always been taught you are your best advocate.  This is an understatement when it comes to the doctor’s office.  Getting in with a rheumy is not an easy task, when you do get an appointment you need to figure out if you can trust this person and if it is someone you can talk to.  If your rheumy doesn’t listen to you how likely are you to listen to them?

  Stolen from RheyMed…

 

  • What is my diagnosis? Are other diagnostic tests required?
  • What will happen to my body as a result of this condition? Are there any other areas of my body that might be affected?
  • Should I expect any complications? If so, what?
  • How and when should I exercise?
  • Do I need to consult a physiotherapist?
  • What are my treatment options to relieve symptoms?
  • What is the purpose of the treatment/medicine you suggest? (Pain killer / Anti-inflammatory)
  • How and when will this treatment make me feel better?
  • What are the potential side effects of treatments/medicines?
  • What should I do if I experience side effects?
  • How is my condition likely to change in the future?
  • What activities should I modify or avoid?
  • Which part of my body should I avoid straining?
  • What lifestyle changes should I make?
  • Are there any devices that can help me in doing my daily tasks?
  • I have certain special concerns (e.g., fertility, pregnancy, offspring, alternative medicines, surgery, special diets, relatives with tragic outcomes with similar diseases or medications). How do these particular issues relate to my condition, and how do you feel about them?
  • Is there a particular diet plan I should follow or avoid certain foods?
  • Do I need to lose weight? If yes, how much?
  • When should I come back for the next visit?
  • May I call you or contact me via internet to give you a progress report?
  • If this treatment/medicine routine does not work, what are the other options?

 

Kid

 

No comments:

Post a Comment