Wednesday, September 5, 2012

When life gives you lemons...


For better or worse lupus is not a “popular” disease, to make matters worse it isn’t the same for two people.  I have been a runner and a triathlete for almost a decade, a few years ago my life went through a complete upheaval.  I was hurting for no obvious reason, I had no energy, I was having issues breathing, it was horrible.  I started to feel like I was a hypochondriac, I was at the doctor’s office almost once a week.  After a number of months my primary care doc put one and one together and did a full work up.  I didn’t think much of it.  I received a call requesting a follow up appointment sooner rather than later.  I sat down with my doc and she asked me if anyone in my family had an autoimmune disease.  A what??  She rephrased it and asked if anyone in my family had lupus.  No.  I really had no idea what lupus was, I had heard of it, but in passing.  My doc wanted my blood work redone in three months, just in case.  Three months later, the results came back the same.  I was referred to a rheumatologist who ran her own blood work and ended up diagnosing me with lupus.   By that point I had started doing my homework.  I had made dietary changes, I had made life style changes, I figured I had everything under control. 

I was supposed to compete in my biggest race this coming October, but lupus had different plans.  So my sister and I adjusted our plans… When life gives you lemons...make a margarita!
 
Kid

No comments:

Post a Comment